r

{ metropolis devoured }
a tribute to my san francisco


3/4 oz scotch whiskey
3/4 oz local politics
1/4 oz public policy
1/4 oz disaster preparedness
1/2 oz alamo square

Shake over neighborhood dives & venues, strain into a chilled cocktail dress, garnish with a sprig of gov 2.0, and serve.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

More civic by the tweet...


Confession time: I get a little teary-eyed for civic engagement. Stop rolling your eyes. I know we've all heard that one before... after all, this is San Francisco, where volunteering is not just encouraged for college application purposes but is mandatory in most high schools. Still. Every once in a while when I need a big hug for the civic soul, when a middle school kid on a passing bus chucks a greasy McDonald's wrapper out the window and at my Ralph Lauren pumps, when I see another blighted corner, forgotten, with trash strewn among a tangle of rusty pipes and bearing an eerie glow slightly reminiscent of a superfun site in an 80's movie, when another doorway smells like a urinal... I check out Mr. Clean. Mr. Clean SF that is.


Mohammed is in the Department of Public Works leadership, and from his division's work on more efficient curb ramps to making public spaces truly available to the public, he helps this city be a little greener, a little more pleasant, a little more livable. And we can all use a little of that in our day.


Mr. Nuru, my apologies if this is super creepy of me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger generic said...

Well this is interesting: a blogspot layout that doesn't suck.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home