r

{ metropolis devoured }
a tribute to my san francisco


3/4 oz scotch whiskey
3/4 oz local politics
1/4 oz public policy
1/4 oz disaster preparedness
1/2 oz alamo square

Shake over neighborhood dives & venues, strain into a chilled cocktail dress, garnish with a sprig of gov 2.0, and serve.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Doom and destruction.

Currently reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road, an intense and dark post-apocalyptic journey story, and I find myself strangely drawn to how full of doom and desolation it is. I definitely like it, but if I was the author, I would've made it illustrated. I would love to see a couple of pages of black and white photos of complete destruction, leveled buildings, crushed asphalt roads, a totally decimated civilization. I think it would help to set the image in stone. Lots of dust. Ash everywhere. The body of the man struck by lighting. The woman who killed herself because she thought their feeble attempts at survival were futile.

Am I anticipating certain doom, or is this just my much needed anti-anti-depressant? By the time I find myself curled up and completely engaged with the story, it's 3 in the morning and I'm feeling strangely calm and at peace.



(ignore the quaint little town tucked into the bottom left corner)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home