r

{ metropolis devoured }
a tribute to my san francisco


3/4 oz scotch whiskey
3/4 oz local politics
1/4 oz public policy
1/4 oz disaster preparedness
1/2 oz alamo square

Shake over neighborhood dives & venues, strain into a chilled cocktail dress, garnish with a sprig of gov 2.0, and serve.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

We can have the pill for free, and they can't have a teenage crush...

I can never possibly claim to be a member of the PC police, what with my eternal and unstoppable potty mouth in full effect all day, every day, but I do advocate for framing the actions of others in the context of their culture, especially when dealing with a series of conflicts. In that case, loud testimony on the subject of who is right and who is wrong is most often useless; one must ask themselves: What do I hope to accomplish? and What can I stand to give up in compromise? Generally, in order to accomplish a long-term goal, one must give up their short-term preaching.

Our country's (and the West's, in general) constant strife for cultural dominance in the world is not something I always agree with (especially due to the ever-present air of embarrassing disrespect for others), since it leads to the extinction of the kind of diversity that challenges us to re-examine morals and ethics in the first place... but the fact that honor killings are still happening, right under our nose and with our aid, really make me question if cultural extermination is always so inappropriate. I know that's a strong statement coming from someone with my background (please see: Shoah) but in order to appease my slightly wounded feminine sensibilities, it has to be said. The fact that it's 2008 means absolutely nothing.

That said, I am not at all a fan of the way we as a country are going about things right now, so I urge you to not stick that statement in between the lines. I might rewrite this later to include a little more informative content when I'm less pissed, although I don't see how I will be, considering the topic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home